Friday, October 6, 2017

chameeeeleon!

This chameleon has been kicking my butt.  I think I am ONE firing away from finished.  The whole reason I did a chameleon in the first place is the skin texture.  There are very few decisions left here and then I am just adding the remainder of texture layer to her skin.  Seriously, I can hardly stand it.

I listed things I wanted to see. With about ten photos of chameleons, I narrowed down to the three that I sized and printed so I could cut and piece together to make a chameleon in the position I wanted.  On the back of the above list, I have a list just as long of the things I am adding as I am omitting things from the original list.  For instance, I blew past paisley, and I changed my mind to put her tail in front of the branch which is still in my head.
A good reason to do a chameleon is to get crazy with color.  However, I only think in blue so why fight that?  Credit me for being a little adventurous with some green and yellow on her lips and side. 
I have so few decisions left, like what to do with her tongue or even if she has any at all. As soon as I get these pieces all in the kiln, I can start on her two paws for the legs on her opposite side.  I would love to see the underside of her paw whitish but I have to really think about what the background of this mosaic will be.  If I do a black background a light purple paw will be cool.  Yeah, I just talked myself into that... or green.  Hmmmm.
This was after the first firing.  I over-fired and had to recut the tail and mouth. I have made so many eye parts and I am really happy with the eighth one.  Ewww, no, not the one in the above picture.

Both the above eye parts got trashed already.  The one part was reworked and fired two additional times before it landed in the trash.  I just want to point out why my definition of failure is quitting.  There is just so much bullshit that you just won't see in the end result of anything cool that anyone does.  I don't even call these mistakes, they are just part of the path to the eye that looks good enough for my story. The one that I am firing onto her face tonight (hopefully) is exactly how I had envisioned.  I had to stack blue glass and I used my wet saw like a grinder to sculpt this crazy little thing about as big as the tip of my thumb.  So let's see how the day goes.  I might be so excited tomorrow that I do a blog post two days in a row.  I could also wake up to find... Nope. Not going to jinx myself.

2 comments: