Tuesday, January 25, 2011

this is the good stuff

OK, this has nothing to do with art .......but it has everything to do with art. Today was pretty epic for a Monday. Kaleo pops in this morning and announces that he's going for a short hike. "Mom, you should go along." Yeah great, except it is 7 degrees outside! First, I tell him all the reasons why his idea was crazy, then about ten minutes later I was as bundled as he was and we are on the road toward the Appalachian Trail. After we parked, we hiked two miles in to see the two vistas that were our morning's destination. The place is called Shock Rock. I don't remember a time that I have ever hiked in winter, especially when it was well below freezing. It was definitely a different view than I am used to. At one point Kaleo realized that he had not brought a container for his dog, Diego, to drink from. So Diego drinks from Kaleo's Camelbak. Then he offers me a drink from the Camelbak. Yum. I've seen some of the places where that dog's mouth has been. When I made a face, Kaleo tells me that he took the mouthpiece off for Diego. I roll my eyes and yeah, I drank it. Tasty.

So what does this have to do with art? Well since the beginning of the year, I have been working on the same piece, Oprah Cola. It is taking really long because I am doing a video of it. Part of the design was a huge palm sized bottle cap. I've already scrapped 7 bottle caps along with a couple hundred dollars worth of materials that the caps were made of, not to mention the time and electric I spent. I now have three small caps that are almost finished. Fingers crossed. So I'm pressing to get this done. I'm so excited to see if the end result is what I have been thinking about for a year or more. While I'm so close to the finish line is when Kaleo asked me to go hiking. The thing is that the hike was SO what I needed. When one works for themselves, especially if they work from home, they really rarely stop working.....especially if they are in love with their job as I am. The hike made me stop and breathe. Kaleo and I always bounce ideas off of each other, usually talking about life. He calls it vibing. It was great to spend the day with one of the greatest people in the whole world. When I started back on the bottle caps, I had new energy which I hope will be evident in the finished work.


At the end of the day, I'm thinking that there may be a possibility that Kaleo is not actually the best son in the whole world. Maybe my dogs are not the funniest, cutest dogs that ever lived. What if my daughter is not really the wittiest or Rob the best husband as I feel they are? Maybe they are just right for me. I always felt that I was a person who saw the glass half full. But now while everyone is deciding between half empty or half full, I'm looking past the glass at the waitress on the way with a pitcher. For me, half full is just the temporary joy ride to full. If you're still reading this sappy happy horse shit, then think of this- How much happier would you be if you just loved what you already have? Nothing wrong with wanting more. I do. But while you are making more happen, just notice what you already HAVE! Today's hike would have been much more enjoyable with another 60 degrees on top of the 7 but it was still freaking fab. There are definitely faults in each of my loved ones, especially the four legged ones. I wouldn't trade any of these guys. I see SO much good in them. The cherry on top of my day was when Kaleo called me this afternoon to say thanks for hiking with him cause he had a great day that also made him do some soul searching. This is the good stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment